A Letter To The Pastor


A legendary story is told of a rich man who came to visit a cathedral while it was being built and he saw a workman carving a tiny bird on the inside of a beam. He was puzzled and asked the man, 'Why are you spending so much time carving that bird into a beam that will be covered by the roof, No one will ever see it. And the workman replied, 'Because God sees.'

There are some times when as a pastor you wonder whether anything you are doing in ministry is making a difference in people's lives. There are those long, and sometimes lonely, hours that are necessary to your sermons every week. Added to that, is the pressure of everyone expecting you to "hit a home run" every time you get up to preach.

There are those days and nights that you spend at the hospital ministering to both the physical and spiritual needs of those who are hurting. There are the countless numbers of hours spent counseling, trying to come up with answers to help those who are hurting emotionally and spiritually.

Then, there are all of the meetings, the weekly visitation of visitors to your church, and on top of all that, you are expected to minister to those in your community who don't go to your church but go to another church or they don't even go to church at all.

As you much as you have tried, you haven't seen your church grow in years. Oh, you have people who will visit who are looking for a church home but they never return for a second visit. And, it has been so long since anyone has walked down the aisle after one of your sermons, whether to be saved, to rededicate their life, or just to ask for prayer.

And, there are those occasions when you have had to neglect your family for those critical needs in your congregation when you just couldn't say "no" to a family who needed your counsel and support.

You wonder at times if it is worth it all. You wonder whether anyone would even notice if you stopped pastoring your church. Sometimes, it even feels like you are invisible, especially to God.

You cry out, "God, what is wrong with my church? What is wrong with me? God, what is wrong with You? Can't you see that my heart is breaking over the spiritual condition of my church family? I keep investing my life in their physical, emotional, and spiritual needs. Nothing ever changes! No one even says, "Thank you, Pastor, for your hard work and dedication." No one says, "Thank you for you many hours of sacrifice to help us in our walk with God."

You may have even said, "God, if something doesn't change in my church, I'm just gonna quit! I can't take it anymore. Nothing I do seems to make a difference. Does anybody really care about what I am doing? Does anybody really care about the things of God? It seems at times as though the only thing that matters to my people are their physical needs. Why aren’t they concerned about the spiritual needs in their lives?"

_________________________________

To: The Pastor

From: God


I just wanted to write you a letter to let you know that I understand everything you are going through. I know the way is hard sometimes and I know that it can be frustrating dealing with your precious flock. I heard your crying the other night. And, the other day when you got mad at Me? I can handle that. It is alright to get mad at Me. I don't ever hold things like that against you.

You are my special child and I love you so much. You are always on My mind and you are always at the center of My attention. Nothing that ever happens to you goes unnoticed by Me. And, nothing you ever do for Me goes unnoticed, either.

I planned out your life before you were ever formed in your sweet mother's womb and I was so excited on the day that you were born. Because of My plan for your life, I was counting the days when you would one day be willing to join Me in assisting in My work.

I decided that I needed you to be a shepherd to some of My sheep. Sheep can be frustrating to work with sometimes. They are so helpless. They don't know where to go and they don't know what to do. That is why they need a shepherd and that is why they need you and why I need you.

I wanted you to know that you are part of a great and glorious work in My kingdom. You are kind of like that workman who takes part in building a cathedral: diligently and invisibly working on all of the details. The workman will go unnoticed but when that cathedral is completed, many stand in awe of the beauty of the structure.

And, so it is with My kingdom. You must be diligent in your work though at times you will feel like you are invisible to the world. I need you to do your part in the work that I have called you to do. It is not necessary for you to see and understand everything that pertains to the structure of My kingdom. You must only do your part and do it to the best of your ability. I have other workmen that are also fulfilling their roles in My kingdom work that I have not called you to do. Just do what I have asked you to do.

I am the Architect of My kingdom. I know what it will look like after it is completed. And, after all is said and done, you will not be recognized by having your name placed on the “cathedral”. No, that is reserved for My Son. His name will be placed on high and He will take His place on His throne.

But, you can be assured that I know the contributions you are making in My kingdom. Your work does not go unnoticed. One day very soon, you will be rewarded for all of your work and you will receive some very special crowns.

But, on that day when you receive those jeweled crowns, you will be in such awe of the beauty of the kingdom you helped to construct that you will be so humbled by all that you will see. Because you will take your place in the presence of My Son, you will lay down your crowns at His feet and rejoice. On that day, it will not matter to you how much work you have done over the years. And, it will not matter to you whether any one noticed what your work on the earth. No, the only thing that will matter on that day is that you will enter through gates of splendor and bow down before your glorious King.

My precious child: do not quit and do not give up. Those thoughts do not come from Me but come from My adversary and My enemy. He knows what I am doing through you and He knows the work that I am accomplishing through your life. That antagonist, know as Satan, knows he was defeated when My Son died on the cross and He knows that one day he will ultimately go down to eternal defeat.

So, dear Pastor, carry on. Go quietly amidst the troubles, the trials, the hardships, and the heartaches. These afflictions are only temporary. The journey is just beginning for you but one day you will make your appearance in My glorious kingdom in Heaven.

Until then, you just keep on following Me and serving Me. I have prepared a special place for you upon your arrival.

I love you, dearly.

Your friend,

God

P.S. There are many, many people awaiting your arrival and your entrance here in heaven. They need to speak with you because they want you to know how much you meant to them on earth and they want to say “thanks”.